Can you believe it's the final post for our 'hip hip hooray' for winter series today? I actually saved my favourite project until last, so I hope you enjoy it too. This is a sweet little 'smile' banner made from a felted garment - but of course it can also be made from normal felt if you prefer.
- 26.5cm X 18.5cm piece of felted wool - you can also use acrylic or wool felt for this project.
- Felted wool scrap : for the circle
- Twig or piece of dowel : approximately 28cm in width
- Embroidery cotton
- Yarn : for the hanger
- Needle, scissors, fade away pen
Allow around an hour to complete this project.
- Step 1: Draw up a simple template for the banner using the measurements in the above photograph. The circle measures 9cm in width. Pin the template onto the piece of felted wool - a tutorial can be found HERE showing you how to felt a woollen garment.
- Step 2: Cut out the banner. Cut out the circle using a contrasting coloured piece of felt.
- Step 3: Use the circle from the template and write your chosen word (mine was smile) inside the circle. Using this word and placement as a guide, use a fade away (or wash away) pen to draw the word onto the circular piece of felt. Hand stitch the word using 3 strands of embroidery cotton.
- Step 4: Pin the circle into position on the banner front.
- Step 5: Blanket stitch the circle onto the banner.
- Step 6: Place the banner (right side down) on your work surface and position the twig approximately 4cm down from the top.
- Step 7: Roll over the top section of the banner and pin (to hold) underneath the twig.
- Step 8: Hand stitch into position.
- Step 9: Wrap (and knot) a piece of yarn (50cm in length) around one edge of the twig and also secure on the opposite end, using the same method.
Hang your banner in a nice spot, smile and enjoy!
Looking for other links from this series? Here you go:
- Day 1: How to make a felt vase cover
- Day 2: How to make fabric serviettes
- Day 3: Old fashioned vanilla cookie recipe and Easy shortbread cream biscuit recipe
- Day 4: Make your own felt word cards
- Day 5: How to make a felted mug cosy
- Day 6: Crochet blanket tutorials