Happy Thursday and welcome to day four of our hip hip hooray for winter series. Today I have an easy felt card tutorial for you - a nice simple project that you can stitch in-between a good cup of tea and a bit of movie watching. These would also be lovely to whip up in a batch, tie together with ribbon/string and give as a handmade gift.
- Plain cards : or make your own with card.
- Felt scraps
- Alphabet letters, printed & ready to go : I used some free ones available on Craft Jr, but there are loads of other fonts available for printing online. Just do a little search for 'free printable bubble letters' and you will find lots to choose from. You can also cut the letters out free hand, if you don't have access to a printer - or draw your own on paper to use as a template.
- Scissors, embroidery thread, pins, double sided tape - or suitable adhesive.
- Allow a morning, afternoon or evening to make a couple of cards.
- Step 1: Decide on a word for your card and cut out the appropriate letters from the alphabet sheet.
- Step 2: Pin each paper letter to a piece of felt and cut out.
- Step 3: Cut out a background piece of felt, slightly smaller than the card front and round each edge slightly with scissors.
- Step 4: Position the words onto the felt background.
- Step 5: Add a few stitches to each letter (using embroidery thread) to hold the word into position.
- Step 6: Once the word is in place, add a running stitch (using embroidery thread) around the outer edge of the felt background.
- Step 7: Use double sided tape to adhere the felt background onto a card front.
To create the 'hello' card above, I used a cup to trace out a circle and then stitched it into place on my felt background.
Tomorrow I have another easy tutorial for you, so be sure to pop back and if you're looking for a warm and cosy winter recipe - pop on over to Tamar's blog today!
Looking for other links from this series? Here you go:
- Day 1: How to make a felt vase cover
- Day 2: How to make fabric serviettes
- Day 3: Old fashioned vanilla cookie recipe and Easy shortbread cream biscuit recipe.
If you're after another felt card design to make, I also have a tutorial HERE - it's a snowman card :)