One of key components to me being organised with healthy lunch ideas for the kids, is preparing and storing in advance. This last couple of weeks I have fallen off the bandwagon a little bit and I've noticed it's a real struggle to think up a good variety of things to pack in lunch boxes.
What has really been working at home (before the falling bandwagon bit!) is having a whole heap of chopped and prepared fresh fruit, vegetables and other goodies all ready to go in the fridge. I just use a mix of small containers to keep them all in and they make it SO fast to pack lunch boxes.
A few of my favourites to do on a Sunday evening are:
- a few boiled eggs, ready to peel and go
- celery - chopped into pieces
- cheese - chopped and stored in little pieces. It seems to keep nicely in a Tupperware container for a few days.
- snow peas - washed and ready to go
- lettuce - washed and sliced
- carrot - grated, usually enough for 2 days
- oranges - cut into wedges then I put them back together in a circle and wrap with cling wrap
- watermelon - wedges
- a selection of nuts and dried apple in mini containers, ready for afternoon school snacks!
P.S. Don't forget to pop over to Tamar's blog later this evening to see her ideas for this week!